It turns out that the table of contents is also where authors answer questions put to them by the magazine :D
Thanks to Harley's translations, exclusively for conan-magic.com, we now have some insight into Gosho's life,
even if just a little.
19. Q: What is the best movie of the last two or three years?
A: "Nasu: Summer in Andalusia"! (Nasu: Andarushia no Natsu)
Info on Nasu, a bicycling anime by one of the
Ghibli folks. Wiki Article
20. Q: Sensei, what is one of your "small pleasures"?
A: The police drama "Aibou" (Partner), as well as the anime "Kaiji". (laughs)
Here's some info on "Kaiji" in English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiji_%28manga%29
And info on Aibou. http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Aibou
21-22. Q: Please tell us what has inspired you recently?
A: "Galileo". (laughs)
Galileo is a current TV drama. http://www.fujitv.co.jp/galileo/index2.html
23. Q: If a museum had an exhibition on any subject, what would you want it to be about?
A: Successive generations of swordsmasters and generals armor and katanas. (laughs)
24. Q: If you could make one law, what would it be?
A: I've often said I would make it so there were eight days in a week! (laughs)
25. Q: Could you tell us what is a book that has made you cry?
A: "Natsu no Sorairo" by Riyouko Takahashi!
Amazon JP listing
27. Q: What would you like most right now?
A: Well, more of hours of sleep! (laughs)
28. Q: Of all the presents you've gotten up until now, what is the most memorable?
A: The Minami Asakura shikashi that Adachi-sensei gave me (laughs).
Note: Minami Asakura is the love interest in Mitsuru Adachi's mega-popular series "Touch" (1981-1986). A "shikashi" is often described as an art board. Its a piece of paper attached to a sturdy backing. They are often used for autographs or small, quick sketches with are signed by a mangaka and given away.
29. Q: Tell us about a good store that is near your home.
A: The bookstore and the video rental store (laughs).
30. Q: Please tell us a tune that when you hear it, it makes you feel tense?
A: Furuhata Ninzaburou's theme song (laughs).
(a Japanese police drama) A remixed version of the song also appears in Dance Dance Revolution.
31. Q: Please tell us what your favorite fairytale is?
A: "Saiyuki!" I really like Goku... but is this really a fairytale...? (laughs)
32. Q: If you had the opportunity to work together with someone else of your choosing, who would it be?
A:"Furuhata Ninzaburo's" Koki Mitani-san, "Aibou's" Yasuhiro Koshimizu-san and "SP's" Kazuki Kaneshiro-san (laughs).
Aoyama mentioned Furuhata Ninzaburo last week. Koki Mitani
is the series' creator and a playwrite.
(Partners) is a drama. Yasuhiro Koshimizu is one of the writers on the show.
is a novelist who wrote the popular book "Go".
33. Q: Please tell us a meal that you can cook and are proud of?
A: Well, I haven't made it in quite awhile, but... curry (laughs).
34. Q: When you're reading your current series, what sort of music do you like to have on in the background?
A: I like to listen to some of the background music and theme songs from the Conan anime... (laughs)
35. Q: Please tell us your favorite proverb and why?
A: Become quick, like the wind, and slow like the forest, aggressive like fire, and be unmoving like a mountain. (laughs)
36-37. Q: Are there any TV commercials that have made an impression on you lately?
A: Most commercials are pretty forgettable… Nagashio-san’s “Pressure has to be fun” one is good. (laughs)
39. Q: What is your longest running accomplishment or practice?
A: Kendo, because I liked Tetsuya Chiba-sensei's 'Ore no Teppei'. (laughs)
is probably best known for his series 'Ashita no Joe' (Tomorrow's Joe).
'Ore wa Teppei'
ran from 1973 though 1980 in Weekly Shonen Magazine.
40. Q: Other than manga magazines, please tell us one of the magazines you like to read?
A: I read fashion magazines for information on clothes. (laughs)
41. Q: When you think about autumn, what foods come to mind?
A: Probably the 20th Century Pear. They're delicious. (laughs)
20th Century Pears
(I had never heard of them either)
42. Q: Please tell us something that recently made you think "that's new!"
A: I had to get the new Haibara Prada mobile phone. (laughs)
43. Q: Do you have any memories of a sports match, play or concert?
A: I saw the Mariners play the Yankees in New York and Matsui suddenly hit a homerun. (laughs)
45. Q: What would you do if you won the lottery?
A: The first thing I would brag about it to my friends, until they started pestering me! (laughs)
46. Q: If you could open a store, what kind would it be?
A: Probably a curry shop. (laughs)
47. Q: What is something you've kept since you were a child and not thrown out?
A: My body. (laughs)
48. Q: Please tell us who you think is the strongest person in the world?
A: Saiyuki's "Son Goku"!!
49. Q: Please tell us if you have a regular song you like to sing at karaoke?
A: I don't, because I'm tone deaf. (laughs)
50. Q: Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't?
A: Space travel! But I don't have the physical strenght for it. (laughs)
51. Q: What's the most unusual thing you've eaten?
A: At a party my first year of college one of my senpai forced me to eat a whole roasted
01. Q: Up until now, what is your biggest impulse buy?
A: At American Disneyland, I bought a Mickey ornament. (laughs)
2/3. Q: Please tell us how you make it through the winter?
A: A hokaron. (laughs)
Note: A "hokaron" is a disposable, portable, heating pad made by the Lotte company.
4/5. Q: What's the longest you've ever stayed awake for, and why?
A: When I was making an anime in college with my manga club. We stayed up for nearly three days. (laughs)
06. Q: Please tell us about a time when you felt good about things.
A: I guess it's when I finish my manuscripts. (laughs)
07. Q: What is your earliest memory?
A: Going to the movie theater to see "Nagagutsu wo Haita Neko: Pero no Daibouken" (Puss in Boots: Pero's Big Adventure).
08. Q: What is something that you wish will disappear before the 22nd century?
A: Cockroaches, flies, things like that. Insect related stuff.
09. Q: Please tell us a scene from an anime that has remained in your heart.
A: It was a scene from "Tiger Mask" where Tiger tore his groin muscle after being dropped on the ring ropes. (laughs)
10. Q: Please tell us something you'd like to talk about, but you never have the opportunity to discuss.
A: Kurosawa films. (laughs)
13. Q: If you were a producer, who or what would you produce?
A: Curry. (laughs)
14. Q: What is the coolest scene you've ever seen?
A: A million dollar night scene. (laughs)
15. Q: Is there a piece of music that makes you think "I can't help but cry when I hear this"?
A: Miyuki Nakajima's "Fight!" (cries)
16. Q: Please tell us a site on the internet that you like to check frequently.
A: A Kyojin site. (laughs)
(Shonen Magazine's classic baseball manga series "Kyojin no Hoshi".)
17. Q: Please tell us something that is improbable but that you still believe.
A: For the Japanese to win the W Cup in soccer. (laughs)
18. Q: Were there some cheap sweets that you liked as a child?
A: Masked Rider Snacks. I liked the cards that came with it. (laughs)
19. Q: Please tell us about a recent design which you think is cool.
A: Samurai Japan's mark. (laughs)
20. Q: When extraterrestrials arrive, where would you take them to show them what represents Japan?
A: The top of Tokyo Tower. (laughs)
23. Q: Is there a show you'd like to see brought back to television?
A: "SP"! I want them to continue it! (laughs)
24. Q: Up to now, what's the best thing you've done for your parents?
A: ... Nothing much... (laughs) [That's kind of wrong >.> -Magic]
25. Q: Was there something or someone that you yearned for when you were a kid?
A: Of course, to be Shigeo Nagashima!
Note: Shigeo Nagashima is a legendary baseball player in Japan, and also happened to appear on the cover of the very first issue of Shonen Sunday in 1959.
26. Q: What is a food that you associate with your mother?
A: Curry rice. *laughs*
27. Q: Please tell us about something you've recently discovered.
A: Reserving movie tickets through the internet. (laughs)
28. Q: Is there a piece of furniture you'd like to see evolve and why?
A: A wristwatch with a tranquilizer gun feature. (laughs)
29. Q: Please tell us who you think the funniest celebrities in showbiz are.
A: DAIGO. (laughs)
30. Q: What manga character's ability would you like to have?
A: Son Goku's Kintoun (Flying Nimbus).
31. Q: What's a messy or cute thing you've seen recently?
A: Totoro. (laughs)
32. Q: Please tell us about a television performance you enjoyed recently.
A: Millionaire. (laughs)
34. Q: Please tell us your most favorite manga, drama or anime.
A: An old drama called “Pro-Hunter” (laughs).
35. Q: When have you felt the most Japanese in your life?
A: When wearing a kendo helmet (laughs).
36. Q: Has there been a word whose name you don’t understand?
A: Deadball…(laughs) If I remember correctly the original meaning is different…
(Note: Deadball in Japanese baseball is when a pitcher strikes a batter. In English, deadball refers to an era in baseball prior to Babe Ruth’s playing days known for low scoring games.)
37. Q: What’s the most amazing place in your neighborhood?
A: Of course I’d say the “20th Century Pears” (laughs).
39. Q: What is something that’s been an impulse buy?
A: How often I rent DVDs (laughs).
40. Q: What do you think are some of the true evolutions that will be made in the 21st century?
A: Terrestrial radio! (laughs).
41. Q: What’s one place you’d like to go at some point in your life?
A: Sochi (Laughs) (Note: Site of Russian Winter Olympics in 2014)
42-43. Q: What is one advanced function you’d like added to cell phones?
A: A voice altering device (laughs).
44. Q: When you were a kid, what was your favorite giant monster?
A: Of course, Gamera! (laughs).
46. Q: If asked by a foreigner what a typical Japanese gag is, what would you tell them?
A: Kato-chan-pe? (laughs). (I googled this and found some mentions of it, but I'm not quite sure how the pun works.)
47. Q: Do you have an embarrassing childhood memory that you can’t forget?
A: I’ve forgotten (laughs).
48. Q: When you go to sleep, what’s a dream that you can remember having?
A: I’m being chased by something and as I run the earth opens up and I start to fall… it’s rather ominous… (laughs).
49. Q: What’s a film that you might say “is a difficult film to understand, but it’s one of my favorites!”?
A: Kappu no Sekai (Cup of the World) (laughs).
50. Q: Please tell us your favorite kanji character and the reason.
A: The kanji "samurai"! And of course it's because of the WBC... (Laughs)
Note: "Samurai" in this case refers to Japan's national team in the WBC or World Baseball Classic.
51. Q: Assuming you could take a ride in a time machine, what era would you go to?
A: I'd go ten years into the future to make sure Ichiro (Suzuki) continues to get hits at the same pace. (laughs)
52. Q: What sort of background image do you have on your cell phone?
A: Whatever I like at the moment. (laughs)
01. Q: What's a song that you like to hear during the winter?
A: No doubt, it's Christmas music. (laughs)
2-3. Q: What was the last meal that you ate that you can recalling being particularly delicious?
A: The Indo-Curry I had at the Osaka World's Fair. (laughs)
4-5. Q: Personally, what's the best news you heard this year?
A: WBC Samurai Japan's victory. (laughs) (Note: WBC is the World Baseball Classic.)
06. Q: If you suddenly had a month off, what would you do with your time?
A: Sleep! Nothing but sleep!! (laughs)
07. Q: When you're alone, what sort of things do you think deeply about?
A: Baseball, soccer, the Olympics... (laughs)
09. Q: What happened the instant you decided you wanted to become a mangaka?
A: I actually wrote "I want to do this" in my the program from my elementary school graduation... (laughs)
10. Q: If you could be reborn as an animal, what sort of animal would you like to be?
A: A slot, because I would like to be lazy. (laughs)
11. Q: Before you die, is there a certain kind of food you would like to try? And what would it be?
A: Suyabashi Jiro's sushi. (laughs)
Note: Jiro, the chef at the restuarant "Suyabashi Jiro" is recognized as a living national treasure by the Japanese government. His restaurant is extremely popular.
12. Q: Is there an occupation you wanted to have when you were a child?
A: I wanted to be Ultra Seven. (laughs)
Note: Ultra Seven was one of the Ultra Brothers which included Ultraman among others.
13. Q: What is your favorite home appliance?
A: My Blu-ray recorder than I just bought! (laughs)
14. Q: What's your favorite four kanji word?
A: "Kaitouranma" (solving a problem swiftly), "Denkousekka" (lightning speed), and "Shippudotou" (waves created by hurricanes) are some of my favorite words. (laughs)
15. Q: What sort of things did you like to play when you were a kid?
A: Only baseball... (laughs)
16. Q: Please tell us your favorite person from the last days of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
A: It's gotta be Ryoma! In those closing days,Ryoma Sakamoto was such a visionary. (laughs)
17. Q: On mankinds final day, what would you like to do?
A: Eat something delicious, probably curry! (laughs)
18. Q: Now that spring is here, what sort of things do you most associate with the season?
A: My assistant Negishi always starts sneezing from his hayfever.
20. Q: When you were a child, what was a toy you really, unbearably wished you had?
A: Jumbo Machine! My friend had one and I was ultra-jealous! (laughs)
21. Q: What do you do when you take a break from work?
A: Sports and watching games. (laughs)
22/23. Q: In your experience, have you ever thought, "This is amazing!"
A: In Las Vegas while I was waiting on a bus I got a jackpot on a slot machine. (laughs)
24. Q: If you manga could be turned into a film, who would you want to play the main character?
A: Probably Oguri Shun. *laughs*
played Shinichi in the first two live action tv specials.
25. Q: When you go to the convience store to buy something, what do you get?
A: A sandwich. *laughs*
26. Q: What are some words to live by?
A: Boy. *laughs*
27. Q: What historical figure have you ever thought "I'd like to illustrate his story" about?
A: Probably Nobunaga. (laughs)
28. Q: Please tell me what songs you like to hum along to?
A: Like Conan I'm tone-deaf and can't sing. (laughs)
29. Q: What was the last CD you bought?
A: B'z "Ai no mama ni wagamama ni boku wa kimi dake wo kizutsukenai".
30. Q: Please tell me if there is there a manga character who gave a particularly memorable speech?
A: In Mobile Suit Gundam: Meguriai Uchuu when Amuro says, "Uchuu..." ("Space...") (laughs)
36-37. Q: Have you ever loved a particular manga character? If so, what series were they from?
A: Lupan III's Fujiko-chan and Touch's Minami-chan. (laughs)
38. Q: When you were a child, were there any manga or picture books that made a lasting impression on you?
A: Probably Peter Pan. (laughs)
39. Q: Please tell us some things you loved about your hometown.
A: The watermelon is delicious, the fruit is delicious and snow crabs are delicious. (laughs)
40. Q: Are you a dog person or a cat person? Or is there some other kind of animal that you prefer?
A: I'm definetely a dog person. (laughs)
41. Q: Please tell us a task you would like to attempt.
A: I'd like to take a vacation somewhere for the first time in four years. (laughs)
42. Q: Please tell us an athelete that you like.
A: The Giant's Sakimoto and Samurai Blue's Honda. (laughs)
More coming soon as issues come out and as I receive past questions and answers ^^.